Between the ages of 11 and 19 I lived in a large remote farmhouse that was built in 1667. My grandparents bought it in the late 1960's and when they became seriously ill in 1994 we moved in to look after them.
It was a creepy place, and on our first night I felt inexplicably terrified. Over the course of the next 8 years it became apparent we had a poltergeist. Here's a few things that occurred:
- Continuous feeling of not being alone in the house.
- Feeling of being watched when in certain rooms. One in particular, that unfortunately held the computer and my piano, had an armchair in one corner and I would find myself looking at it every few minutes expecting someone to be sat there. I couldn't be in that room alone after dark.
- At night I wouldn't have been surprised to open my eyes and see someone stood at the end of my bed.
- When playing in the garden my sister and I would be convinced someone invisible was watching us from an upstairs window.
- Occasionally there was a strong smell of decay in certain areas.
- Wallets disappearing and the cards/cash being lined up down the middle of the dining room table.
- Ornaments/items being moved around the house.
- The sound of footsteps on wood moving along a carpeted corridor.
- Feeling utterly petrified when going into the loft. I can't explain it, just sheer terror of this vast space. Again I wouldn't have been surprised to find some hideous entity up there.
- Volume on my stereo increasing and decreasing by itself.
- Every night I would hear something rolling across my bedroom floor (as if I'd dropped a battery that rolled across the floorboards), but as soon as I turned the light on it would stop.
- The earbuds were cut off my headphones at least once a month.
- Dreaming that I was hanging myself from a beam in the loft.
- The builders doing the conversion of the barn we had said their tools were moved around the site every night.
- My most prized possessions all disappeared: mostly little birthday presents from friends, but to 12 yr old me they were important sentimental items!
The worst day, when it finally (!) dawned on me that we had a ghost, I was sitting on my bed watching TV, when a pile of books moved very slowly in mid air, from the bookshelf, past me, to the door 17 foot away and landed still perfectly stacked. Whilst my jaw was on the floor and I was trying to make sense of that I heard tapping and looked back to the bookshelf to see a stack of cassette tapes moving one at a time off the shelf and forming a perfectly aligned pile on the floor. I fled my room to ask my mum about it, and as she confirmed we had a ghost we heard an almighty smash. At the other end of the house, in the room under my bedroom, we found that a HUGE gilt framed mirror had detached itself from the wall, flown across the room and smashed against the wall.
We brought in the local vicar to bless the house soon after that and things calmed down. We moved out pretty swiftly and sold the house, but despite us still owning the converted barn on the property, I won't go anywhere near it.
I'm still really interested in the paranormal. I attend a Spiritualist Church to work on my mediumship skills and am a member of a Paranormal Investigation group, but I would never want to live long term with a ghost again.
Talk about anything paranormal related here.
- Story Contests
- Story Contest: January - February 2018
- Story Contest: June 2017
- Story Contest: January - February 2017
- Story Contest: November - December 2016
- Story Contest: September - October 2016
- Story Contest: July - August (2016)
- Story Contest: May – June (2016)
- Story Contest: March – April (2016)
- Story Contest: January – February (2016)
- Story Contest: December (2015)
- Story Contest: October (2015)
- Short Scary Stories
- Halloween Art Contest
- Glitch In The Matrix
- Scary Encounters
- Story Forum
- Stories & Encounters Found Elsewhere
- Off Topic
- Featured Authors
- Community Announcements
- Game Forum
- Off Topic Forum
- Technical Issues
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest